Friday, July 20, 2007

Corner Gas

Sheila- Have you seen the Canadian tv show Corner Gas?
Danny's very social uncle works for the railroad CN and is in Canadia a lot. He was in Saskatchewan at a bar and a loud group of people was sitting at the table behind him. They asked him to join (B/c he's American and they thought that was cool), bought him a few beers and told him about the show. They also like Chicago b/c WGN will soon be airing the show. The Policewoman on the show was sitting with them. So before he left, he asked again, "What is it called again?" They told him, and then asked what hotel he was staying at. The next day he came back to his hotel room and a hotel employee had left a package in his room- 2 or 3 (I forgot) seasons of the show on dvd. Just free. Just to watch. So we watched it last night. It was pretty funny. Very sarcastic and kinda goofy. They said it's huge in Canadia and I thought you guys may have seen it. Dunno.

1 comment:

Sheilee said...

Really, Danny's uncle met a character from Corner...zzZZZzzzsnore Gas? I have seen 4 minutes of it, but wasn't interested. This may be due to the environment in which I watched the show. From Maria's hating to have sitcoms blaring on the tv, or even quietly tiptoeing on tv, Tookie's scratching the back door to get in, or out, or in, or out (you decide), to answering the phone, to thinking about plucking my eyebrows, to running my tongue over the front of my teeth, the show never had a chance with me.

Also, it may have been on during a day I am not usually in Canadia, so no other chance to let it grow on me. Sometimes I am open to a new show, and sometimes I am not.

Which also reminds me that a great show from waay back, some variety show of Madeleine Kahn, featured her as a flunky high school student with no motivation to get higher grades. She claimed she wasn't worried about them since she planned on attending the University of Saskatchewan. I thought it was the funniest line evah. We get tv shows from Saskatoon which features ads for University of Saskatchewan, which usually evokes a smirk from me.

But having said all that, I will give Corner Gas another try.

Also popular in Canadia is Little Mosque on the Prarie. It's been talked about some here in the US too. It's on when I'm not up there. And I have to be 97% insistent if I want to watch it since Maria hates sitcoms. But then again, I grow weary of car crashes and bank robberies. I'd say it's about even.