Friday, June 08, 2007

buggy in bugland



A newly "hatched" cicada drying its wings on the lilac bushes behind the house.

Mother Nature in full force this week; nice to know that some of her offspring are still able to function properly.

They're dive bombing us here now. Humming like a huge current traveling across very lively wires. The sound is like a rock and roll concert from my youth--when you come inside from the yard, your ears are swathed in cotton and everything sounds distant and muffled for a while. The trees are coated with their bodies and mounds of dried carapaces are strewn on the ground beneath. Eddie and I have fished dozens of struggling buggy swimmers out of the kiddie pool in an attempt to slow the rate of suicides.

I think our kids will not forget this summer.

3 comments:

AmyR said...

Amazing picture Sara! I hope your kids remember this summer. Maybe they should make a photo diary or something about it. Personally, I'm glad the bugs passed us by.

Katie said...

The cicadas by us are really loud. If we're sitting in the condo with the front and back balcony doors open, it's loud enough that we have to turn the tv volume up. When I get off the elevator in my building and go into my little hallway thing, I can hear them buzzing if my doors are open and my neighbor's doors are open. It's nuts. BUT I've only seen about 20 bugs. We've only had one on our front balcony; none on the back. Not sure why. We have tons of trees. They don't wanna join us on the 4th floor. I'm thankful for that.

Sheilee said...

The only rock and roll from my youth was unwittingly attending a Pink Floyd concert while at Old Chicago amusement park. Or, having a Pink Floyd concert thrust upon us. The acoustics were unbearably cave like, the lyrics and melody washed over in reverb. I kind of guessed that they were a famous band, but boy did I hate them.

I remember cicadas too. The year my softball team, "Powder Blue", won the championship. Our lesbian softball coach had us practice in 108 degree weather, but spoke very softly to us.