Friday, February 17, 2006

A Public Service


OK time to get that dancing cat out of your system.

I've just gotten through a grant proposal that I'd been working on at MIT for one full month including all of last weekend and we submitted it last night at 4:59pm. I awoke this morning at 5am because I realized that I'd forgotten to add a section to the proposal. I am cooked.

But I cannot do anything until 9am when I start begging various people to help me out, and Martin Polz, the professor whose proposal went out, starts begging people at the National Science Foundation for mercy.

So what catches my eye? This poetry contest on the latest events of the past few days that I'd missed. Two that made me laugh out loud:

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Dick Cheney shot a man in the face. (27)

Guns Don't Shoot 78-year old Men in the Face,
Dick Cheney does. (28)

I think it's horrible that Dick Cheney shot that guy. I hope the guy recovers fully. And I was at first surprised at how quickly and ferociously this issue has hung on. But then I thought back to when Howard Dean gave some pep speech after losing Iowa and gave that yell at the end. The reporters at the event thought nothing of it. But their editors took it and then gave it that special overkill touch, and wa la, Howard Dean is now a frothing maniac. When he governed in Vermont he did so as a moderate Democrat.

So now I'm thinking that what's good for the goose is... good for the quail hunter.

I can't decide which of the two to vote for, though.

2 comments:

AmyR said...

Everyone makes mistakes, n'est pas?

Sheilee said...

Mais oui!! Certainment enfant.