Tuesday, February 21, 2006

what's the score?

In case any of you were wondering why I would participate in such a spit-fire event as a poetry contest about Dick Cheney can look here.

I have tried to ignore, understand, deny, wonder aloud, ignore, think about for a minute, on the goings on in the Republican party because, basically, there's nothing else to do on that end. I guess it's always evolving, because people are involved in politics, and people are always changing, even to change back before changing back back. But I really do not understand the Republicans' appeal.

Which then makes me think about being an American in the US. And an American in Canada. Which then means being a North American. I have found Anglophone Canadians always talk about Canada as North America. Or maybe they refer to North America a lot lately because of the Olympics in Turin.

Maria spent a few HOURS on the phone this morning trying to understand what we're paying to Bell Telephone. No one could answer more than one answer before passing her on to some other expert for what I thought were business as usual-type questions. Which is typical here in Quebec/Canada. I have dealt with phone companies and utilities and businesses in the US, and had my share of trouble with customer service. But never for so long for so small a request as "please tell me what is on my bill." If you want to open a bank account in Canada, you have to make an appt. I've opened many a bank accounts in the US as a walk-in. I've grumbled this way in public while in Canada. Which then made me feel like ... a Republican.

Why is it that good business practices and good service are linked in this non-Repub mind to Republicans?

Dear Mom. Sorry. I know I'm not supposed to talk about politics or religion. But it's not Christmas.

5 comments:

AmyR said...

It's not Christmas, and hey, you don't actually KNOW any Republicans in person, oh wait, there MIGHT be some around. "Tip toe, through the tulips"
: )

Sheilee said...

Amy, my housemates in Boulder were Republicans. Gay Repubs. But I am not so sure I know any others.

AmyR said...

I was being slightly fajitas. I don't marry myself to any political party or group wholeheartedly, but I certainly voted Republican in the last 3 presidential elections and am Bush supporter. Just an FYI. : )

Katie said...

I was just being fajitas. HA. What a roller-ism. It's hilarious. I'd love to use that in the future, but I'll probably forget it and say, "I was being...taco..no...tortilla...uhmm...I was just joking, ok?"

Sheilee said...

I was just being cappucino.